The secrets of sugar-free chocolate in the ketogenic diet
While the ketogenic diet requires you to limit your consumption of desserts, this is not the case for sugar-free chocolate, if it is black !
We'll explain why !
What is dark chocolate?
Dark chocolate is made by combining cocoa paste, cocoa butter and sugar. Unlike milk chocolate, dark chocolate normally does not contain milk, and it contains less sugar and more cocoa.
The proportion of cocoa in the final product determines the quality of dark chocolate : the higher it is, the better. As a rule, high-quality dark chocolate includes at least 70% cocoa.
High-quality dark chocolate is especially rich in flavonoids, which are powerful antioxidants found in plant foods. Does it even contain more than black tea or red wine ?
Dark chocolate decreases the risk of heart disease and improves cognitive functions.
Discover our range of sugar-free chocolate
Dark chocolate is keto ?
Dark chocolate can absolutely be keto-friendly as it often contains less sugar than many milk chocolate tablets. One of the main differences between dark chocolate and milk chocolate is a higher concentration of cocoa, which, in part, often indicates that there is less sugar.
According to the Harvard School of Public Health, dark chocolate contains 50-90% solid cocoa, while milk chocolate contains only 10-50%. Dark chocolate is also much richer in flavanols, a substance of plant origin that protects the heart.
So, would dark chocolate be an appropriate snack (in moderation) for the ketogenic diet but also for overall health ? Yes ! The key ? Choose dark chocolate varieties with at least 70% solid cocoa to consume even more flavanols.
Carbohydrates in dark chocolate
A standard ketogenic diet usually involves limiting your carbohydrate intake to only 5-10% of your daily calorie intake.
For example, for a 2000 calorie diet, you would limit your carbohydrate intake to about 25 grams of carbohydrates per day.
This means that 28 grams of high quality dark chocolate would contribute about 40% of your total daily carbohydrate intake.... So the other carbohydrates you absorb during the day will largely condition the dark chocolate you can eat.
In addition, it is important to choose a high-quality dark chocolate that contains at least 70% cocoa solids.
So, two options are available to you :
- Limit other carbohydrate foods to make sure you don't exceed your daily carbohydrate limit.
- Eat chocolate specifically designed for ketogenic and sugar-free diet.
We think we know which one you're going to choose !
What are the brands of sugar-free and keto-friendly chocolate ?
Many chocolate brands are emerging in the field of sugar-free chocolate or 0-calorie chocolate or keto chocolate.
Here is our top 3 of the best brands of keto chocolate :
- Funky Fat Foods : vegan chocolate, keto, and without sugar ! Funky Fat Foods is a Dutch brand of chocolate without sugar available on our shop, its chocolate is rich in MCT and will be a gourmet addition to your keto diet. Available in different flavors: dark chocolate without sugar, hazelnuts, coffee and coconut.
- Ketolat: a young Quebec brand that makes a chocolate suitable for ketogenic food. They produce many flavors : salted caramel, cocoa chips, blueberries and many others ! Their tablets will soon be available on our store.
- Kiss My Keto: this American brand has created chocolate 100% keto: chocolate without sugar, with proteins and 13g of lipids per serving. Real low-carb chocolate, soy-free, and very good for health ! Find the Best Kiss my Keto products on our shop (temporarily broken because of COVID 19).
Try them brownies with avocado with funky fat foods chocolate with hazelnuts, it's delicious